As Customer Ambassadors, you'll help other Northumbrian Water and Essex & Suffolk Water customers and earn cash rewards through our app. Here’s a quick recap of what you’ll do on the Limitless app.
- RESPOND to customer questions in your task list
- REVIEW answers from other Customer Ambassadors so they get paid
- EARN money and rewards when your answers are reviewed positively by the community
- RECEIVE CUSTOMER RATINGS on your answers, which will be displayed on the app as your rating
Great, what topics can I answer?
- Water supply, water pressure relating to a specific area
- Water discoloration or appearance
- General questions on water charges and how charges are calculated
- General questions about water meters
- How to provide meter readings
- Customers moving home
- Make a payment/Check your account balance
- Advice for customers struggling to pay their bills
- RV Questions
- Direct Debit Set up
- High bill enquiries
- Encouraging customers to order a free water saving kit
- Queries regarding what can be done via the website
And what topics can I NOT answer?
- Account management - enquiries that can only be resolved with access to the customer’s account details
- Payment related enquiries - e.g. setting up payment plans
- Complaints – anyone who wishes to make a complaint
If you receive any enquiry which falls into one of the 'DO NOT ANSWER' categories above, please respond using this template: "You need access to your account to be able to do this. If you already have an account, just click on either of the links below (based on your supplier)and log in using your account number: Northumbrian Water or Essex & Suffolk Water
If you don’t have an account yet, it’s quick and easy to set one up and all you need is your account number – just click one of the links below to get started:Northumbrian Water or Essex & Suffolk Water
If you’re still not able to do what you need to online, you can contact the customer services team who are always happy to help. It’s currently their annual billing period - one of the busiest times of the year so you’ll probably have to wait a little longer than normal to speak to an adviser.
If you still want to give them a ring, the number is 0345 733 55 66 for Northumbrian Water, and 0345 782 0111 for Essex and Suffolk Water. TheyLines are open 8 am - 6 pm Monday to Friday and 8am-1pm on Saturday (ESW).
Rather than simply sending a website link to the customer, you should always try to find the answer to their specific question.
Refer the FAQ sections https://nwl.faq-help.com/iframe/faqtAgent.html or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/ask-us.aspx to find answers to a wide variety of customer questions. Customer Ambassadors should never ask for personal customer data such as account numbers, etc.
What’s the difference between Essex & Suffolk Water and Northumbrian Water?
Customer Ambassadors will have the opportunity to help both Northumbrian and Essex & Suffolk Water customers. This means that certain information you provide to customers may be different depending on the region. It will be easy to tell the difference between the customer types as these questions will come into 2 separate groups in the Limitless app.
The most significant difference is that Essex and Suffolk Water customers do not have their sewerage provided by Northumbrian Water but by either Anglian Water or Thames Water. There may also be different contact numbers based on the region that you should provide the customer with. When looking for the relevant template or information in the in-app Knowledge Library, please be sure to check which region is stated in the article. If it does not state a region, it can be used for both, if it states ESW it will be strictly for Essex & Suffolk Water customers.
Essex & Suffolk Water does not provide sewerage services to customers. These customers receive their sewerage from either Anglian Water or Thames Water. If a customer’s sewerage service is provided by Anglian Water, they can contact the company with service or billing queries on 0345 791 9155 (8 am until 8 pm Monday - Friday and 9 am until 1 pm Saturday). For sewerage service queries and emergencies, their 24/7 number is 0345 714 5145.
If a customer receives their sewerage services from Thames Water, Essex & Suffolk Water collect the sewerage charges on their behalf. This is shown on their bill. If they have a service query regarding sewerage, they must contact Thames Water on 0800 316 9800. For billing enquiries, they should call 0345 782 0111.
Ok, take me through the topics I CAN answer
Queries regarding water supply or pressure
If you receive customer enquiries about no water supply, poor water pressure or water discolouration in their area you can address them.
- If the customer provides you with an area or postcode you should check on our Twitter pages https://twitter.com/nwater_care or https://twitter.com/eswater_care to see if their area is affected by any work. Make sure you provide the customer with enough information along with the relevant Twitter link! If the customer hasn't provided their postcode, just share the Twitter link with them and ask them to do a search on their own.
- If there are no details on Twitter, there are a series of questions to run through with the customer as follows:
- Check if their cold water kitchen tap works as expected – if so it may indicate a problem with their internal plumbing.
- Ask the customer to check their internal stop tap as per these links https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-services/no-water-poor-pressure.aspx or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/your-services/no-water-poor-pressure.aspx
- Ask if they live in a high rise block of flats – if yes, they need to contact their caretaker or maintenance manager. The problem may be isolated to the property, as occasionally the water pumps which deliver water to each flat fail and need to be re-set.
Questions about water discoloration or appearance
If you receive customer enquiries about water discolouration or appearance in their area you can address them.
- If the customer provides you with an area or postcode you should check on Twitter to see if their area is affected by any work and then go back to advise the customer. Make sure you provide the customer with enough information along with the relevant Twitter link.
- Discoloured water will normally run clear if you run the first mains-fed tap in your property. This is the cold water tap nearest to your internal stop tap which is usually the cold water tap found in the kitchen. You should run this tap at the normal rate for up to 40 minutes or until clear.
- There is more help and advice on these pages https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-services/Water-quality.aspx or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/your-services/Water-quality.aspx
Water charges and how charges are calculated
You can advise customers of water charges by using the details that are available on the Northumbrian Water website or the Essex & Suffolk Water website. Please do not direct the customer to the website without trying to answer their query.
You may also be asked queries about 'rateable value' or 'RV'. You can read more about RV in the Knowledge Library once you are in the Limitless app.
Questions about water meters
You can help customers with general queries about their water meter.
Applying for a water meter To apply for a water meter you can advise customers to complete and send the online form. More details can be found on https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/Apply-for-a-meter.aspx and https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/your-account/Apply-for-a-meter.aspx.
Reverting back to normal bill payment, if a meter doesn't work for the customer: If the customer has a meter installed, they can decide to go back to paying on an unmetered basis within 2 years of getting the meter installed.
If the customer decides to go back to their previous charging method the meter will not be removed and this will be used to bill the next occupier. If the customer wishes to revert to unmeasured billing they must contact Northumbrian Water or Essex and Suffolk Water via email or call Customer Services in order to provide a final meter read. If customers are unable to provide a reading, the water company can do this for them.
More information about water meters: https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/considering-a-water-meter.aspx and https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/your-account/considering-a-water-meter.aspx
Provide meter readings
Customers can provide their meter reading with their online account or on Northumbrian Water's free 24 hour meter reading line on 0345 733 5566. They only need the numbers shown on the black background. These numbers show the amount of water you have used and are what is used to work out their charges.
- To report a leak please ring: 0800 393 084
- To report a flood please ring: 0800 328 7648
Essex & Suffolk Water
Customers will need to have either the property reference number from their meter reading card or the 12 digit customer reference number ready which can be found at the top of their bill. Call the automated service free on 0800 032 3416 (or 01502 565 402). If they prefer to call and speak to one of the Customer Service Advisors, the number is 0345 782 0111. Customer Service is open to take billing calls 8am-6pm Monday to Friday and 8am-1pm Saturday. Call costs – standard network charges apply. However, charges from some networks or mobile phones may vary. Calls may be monitored or recorded in order to improve service quality and for staff training.
Questions about customers moving home
You should direct customers to contact using the online form first and foremost as this is the quickest way to tell us about a home move.
- New customer?: Click here to inform you’re moving into Northumbrian Water's supply area.
- Current customer?: Click here to inform you’re moving within or out of Northumbrian Water's supply area.
Essex & Suffolk Water
- New customer?: Click here to inform you’re moving into the supply area.
- Current customer?: Click here to inform you’re moving within or out of the supply area.
If you're a landlord and your tenant is moving home, here's what you need to do: Landlords can create an account at www.landlordtap.com where there can register tenants moving in and out. Recommend this as the first option, and if the landlord does not want to use this option, then advise them of the other home move options listed below.
Common home move questions:
I am moving into a house with a water meter, can I have it removed?: No. Once a meter is installed it cannot be removed. Under the Water Industry Act, customers moving into properties with water meters cannot have the meter removed and must pay for their water on a metered basis.
Do I have to give a meter reading when I move?: No. If you don’t provide us with a meter reading before you move, we will estimate your final bill. This will be based on your previous levels of water usage.
I’m moving home, I’ve bought the property but not moved in yet, when do I need to register?: Your new account will need setting up once you’ve moved into the property, or once water is being used at the property for any purpose including refurbishment.
I’m moving home, when should I send you a meter reading from my new property?: Providing us a meter reading within a few days after moving in means that we can provide you with a more accurate bill. The quickest and easiest way to give us a meter reading is through our website.
I’m moving home, when should I send you a meter reading from my old property?: If you provide us with a meter reading either on the day you move, or a few days before, we can provide you with a more accurate bill. If you don’t provide us with a meter reading before you move we will estimate your final bill. This will be based on your previous levels of water usage.
I’ve just moved house and I have no water, what do I do?: First check the internal stop tap is fully on. If it is, call the Contact centre on 0345 717 1100 where one of our customer advisers will be able to assist you.
Make a payment or check your account balance
Make a payment online
View your bill and payment history online
- For Northumbrian Water: Customers will need their 12-digit customer reference number ready which can be found at the top of their bill. Call the automated service free on 0800 032 3417. This line is open 24/7. If the customer wants to talk to an adviser, the number to call is 0345 733 5566. The contact centres are open from 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays.
- For Essex & Suffolk Water: Customers will need their 12-digit customer reference number ready which can be found at the top of their bill. They can call the automated service free on 0800 032 3415 or, if they wish to talk to an adviser, the number is 01502 584 967.
Customers can also make a payment or check your account balance by contacting Customer Service
Advice for customers struggling to pay their bills
Information for anyone who has difficulty paying can be found on our website here:
Schemes to support customers pay their bills:
WaterSure: WaterSure may be able to help reduce the customer's bill. There is some criteria the customer has to meet to be on a WaterSure scheme - the customer needs to be on a meter, in receipt of a means-tested benefit and also have 3 or more children under the age of 19 or someone in their household with an illness that requires them to use more water. Customers can check their eligibility here.
SupportPLUS Reduced Tariff Scheme: If customers are unable to pay their current charges, Northumbrian Water may be able to reduce the amount they pay every month. The reduction can be up to a maximum of 50% off their annual bill. In order to qualify customers will need to get a financial assessment from an independent debt advice provider such as StepChange Debt Charity. To find more information on either of these schemes customers should contact Northumbrian Water on 0345 733 5566.
Encouraging customers to order a free water saving kit
Water saving kits offer our customers some really great devices that will help to reduce the amount of water and energy they use in their home, completely free of charge! From Tap inserts to Save-a-Flush devices that save water in the kitchen and bathroom, to trigger hose guns and moisture retaining garden crystals that save water in the garden, the water saving kits really do cover all bases when it comes to using water wisely at home.
You will find more information about water saving kits in the Knowledge section in the Limitless app. You can also find more information about water saving kits at these links https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/saving-water/water-saving-kit.aspx or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/saving-water/water-saving-kit.aspx
Customers should be encouraged to order their free water saving kit so that they can take advantage of the opportunity to reduce their water consumption, reduce their energy use in the home and ultimately save money!
Questions about the website and what can be done via the website
For many customer requests, the quickest and easiest way to complete this is via the website. Where possible customers should be directed towards the website as the best way of completing the following tasks:>
- Register for an online account: https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/register.aspx or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/register.aspx
- Log into your account: https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/login.aspx or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/login.aspx
- Set up a direct debit: "https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/Direct-Debit.aspx or "https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/your-account/Direct-Debit.aspx
- Make a payment: https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/Pay-your-bill-online.aspx or
- View your bill and payment history: https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/payments-bills.asp or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/your-account/payments-bills.asp
- View copies of your bill: https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/View-your-bill.aspx or https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/View-your-bill.aspx
- Let us know how you are moving: https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/moving-property/existing.aspx or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/your-account/moving-property/existing.aspx
- Apply for a water meter: https://www.nwl.co.uk/your-home/your-account/Apply-for-a-meter.aspx or https://www.eswater.co.uk/your-home/your-account/Apply-for-a-meter.aspx
Ready to take the Northumbrian Water & Essex & Suffolk Water quiz? Once you've done so, you can log into the app and practice a bit. Good luck, you've got this!